Well July 27th 2013 finally arrived and I hosted my annual pool party. The theme changes from year to year. This year the theme was all about Barbie.
I invited 12 guests. All guests agreed to enter a Barbie Costume Contest. Each contestant was asked to enter $10 into the draw. There were prizes awarded for 1st, 2nd and 3rd placed winners. The contest was MC’d by no other than Joshua Fairweather who is an Executive Clothier for David E White www.davidewhite.com here in London. You may contact Joshua at firstname.lastname@example.org. He did a fabulous job!
The food was pot luck and delicious! We had 2 special guests, alumni of my Dining for Debutantes & Social Graces workshop, who adorably resembled little Barbies.The tailoring for my costume was done by Francine of Francy’s Design & Alteration located at 515 Richmond Street, London, you can contact her at email@example.com.As I organized the party there was several ideas and details I had that I wanted to share. Each of the points listed below should help you in becoming a courteous and etiquette savvy ultimate hostess.
- Casual Email with RSVP
- Formal Mail with RSVP
- Always state whether it is a Pot Luck or B.Y.O.B
- Make sure you have enough space, seating and a back-up plan in case of poor weather. i.e.: Tents or the ability to move indoors on short notice.
- Some parties are great with a theme. This gives everyone a sense of camaraderie and creates excellent conversation. It’s an ice breaker for sure!
- Plan the music in advance. Have your playlist created and ready to go or hire a DJ. Make sure the music is suitable for your guests, not just what you like and is also age appropriate. You are hosting
the party it’s all about your guests.
- When planning pot luck parties ask people to bring a dish that will compliment your main dishes or theme. Please ask if there are any food allergies and plan accordingly. Nothing worse than lasagna for someone who is gluten free!
- I love flowers, balloons and candles. They can change a very simple setting into a show stopper. Shop around and make the arrangement yourself. If you know a florist and have a flower garden of your own, ask if you can use some of your flowers in the arrangement. This will cut your cost, believe me.
- You may live in an apartment duplex or a house in the city. Please let your neighbour know of your upcoming event. Please be respectful of the volume and the time, not everyone wants to party with you until dawn.
- Be prepared and ready at least 15-30 minutes ahead of schedule, then take a few minutes to catch your breath, you will be much more relaxed and a more gracious host. Always have more food then you need. Leftovers are great. Don’t get overwhelmed by the amount of guests, have someone help you or hire someone so you have time to mingle with your guests.
All and all, a pool party during the summer with outdoor entertainment can be a blast but remember etiquette is important and good manners matter.
To See More Photos from the Fabulous Pool Party Please Visit My Gallery.